Thursday, November 15, 2007

Grandparents post

My grandparents are no longer alive but something happened that made me think of this and so I'm posting it.

Back when I was a kid my grandparents would come out here from Virginia every other year for Christmas. One of our family traditions was to get together with four other families and have a game night. At stake was a trophy which was just the back end of a horse. So every year, each family would compete for the horses ass award.
One year we played The Match game. A word or phrase would be read and then each family member would fill in the blank. This particular year the word was "Tape_______".
As we went around our family, first my mom said "recorder." Next was my dad and he said "recorder". Yay. A match. Then we get to grandma. We often laughed at grandma because well, she didn't always get things. If you know what I mean. So we get to grandma and she says "cod". HUH??? Cod? Grandma, what is wrong with you. You need to get your hearing checked. Cod? Really? Tape Cod? *giggle* Obviously grandma thought the word was "cape". We all laugh and move along. We get to me and I say "recorder". Then we get to Pop. (everybody called my grandfather "Pop"). So Pop is sitting there and there are tears rolling down his face. His rather large belly is just bouncing up and down and he has tears rolling down his face. We had no clue what was going on. So now Pop needs to show his card. And what did he write down?......You guessed it, Pop had written "Cod". LMAO. Those two old farts who had been married for over 50 years were now hearing things the same way. Incorrectly. But? It counted as a match. Those two deaf old farts may not hear well but they helped us that year to win the horses ass. *giggle*

Anyhow, a similar incident happened in my house last night. Too long to go in to but it totally reminded me of that Match Game and my grandparents.
I told Michelle that I knew that it was dorky of me but the fact that we had this similar incident happen made me want to say to her "See, we DO belong together". She laughed and told me that as soon as our incident happened, she totally thought of my grandparents. And she said to me "maybe you ARE my lobster". If you didn't watch Friends, you may not get that reference.
Anyhow, I haven't been around much lately. And when I have been, I have not exactly been positive or upbeat. So I just wanted to post my little story that made me smile. That is all. Thanks for stopping by.

17 Comments:

Blogger Breezy said...

Rock Lobster!

*giggle* dork.

11/15/2007 7:26 AM  
Blogger momma said...

*hugs*

That's a cute story about your grandparents.

11/15/2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger kevingrout said...

great story.

And fwiw, it doesn't seem like many peeps have been around lately.

11/15/2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Syren said...

Great Story.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love hearing memory stories like this.

11/15/2007 10:12 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

What a lovely story, Bravie! (And I remember that Friends episode.)

11/15/2007 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that story. I love stories like this.

And "Cod" and "Lobster"? How fricking funny is that?

11/15/2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger dragonflies said...

Aww, that is so cute! Both stories!

You made me smile during a week that has been difficult to smile. I know I can always rely on you for that Bravie.

*smooch*

Now, if I just had your name for the funny mail thingy, I could send you a lobster, or a picture of CC. Sadly, I don't.

11/15/2007 11:06 AM  
Blogger mtw said...

{{{{HUGE HUGS}}}

11/15/2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger mtw said...

}

11/15/2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger BlindSlim~CSTL said...

That's a cute story.

11/15/2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger Mandymmm said...

Awww...that was a sweet story! Thank you for telling! :)

11/15/2007 5:01 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

Awww, I love your "tape cod" story. Cherish those memories! Did you think of your grandma when you made the "Cod" blog?

11/16/2007 8:22 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Thanks for induldging, everybody.

11/16/2007 9:10 AM  
Blogger MM said...

Reading this made me smile. Thanks for sharing this, Carey. *smooch*

11/16/2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger lights said...

It's not funny to laugh at old married farts you know. *snort* I almost said that with a straight face.

Great story Carey. Made me smile.

11/16/2007 4:05 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

Sweet story, Bravie. :-)

11/17/2007 3:49 PM  
Blogger Glowie said...

That's a sweet story.

11/21/2007 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home