Monday, January 02, 2006

Rain, fondue and evacuation

Friday's drive to the lake was a wet and rainy one but we got there. Friday night we all hung out at our place playing games, dancing, eating and drinking.
Saturday was pretty uneventful. The rain stopped so we walked around the resort. Did I mention that 2 of the guys at our place were sick? So getting out and getting germfree air was nice for me.
Saturday night started off fine. We all went to Christine's (Michelle's cousin) for our NYE party. We had mostly hor de heuver food because we had eaten a big meal around 4pm. The main attraction on the food table were the fondues and the chocolate fountain. I spent way too much time at the fondue station.
We had the music going, we had drinking games going, we were all having a pretty good time. Fast forward to 11:45pm. All hell broke loose. It's too long and too detailed to get into so I'll spare you but let's just say that none of us got to countdown to midnight, no ball dropping, no Dick Clark, no kisses at midnight. *sigh*
Sunday morning. I slept until 10:45am. Un.heard.of for me. I get up, make a cup of coffee, take some Tums and Advil and try to get over my dizziness. My coffee starts to kick in and off to the bathroom I go. "Oh, um, Carey, we have no water but the toilet does flush". No water? I'll worry about that after I go to the bathroom. I got the last flush.
I walk down to Christine's (in the pouring rain) to see if they have water. Nope. Michelle's uncle says he is going to the store to see what's up. So I head back to our place.
11:30am the phone rings. It's Christine. "Um, the water has been turned off because the lake rose too high, it's not coming back and the lake continues to rise. We need to be out of here in 45 minutes. BTW, 121 is closed and the only way home is through St. Helena and Napa"
*PANIC* 45 minutes to get 8 people at our place packed, clean the place which is a mess and try to get dishes done with no water. Oh, Michelle is still in bed. Poor thing didn't even get any coffee and we're rushing her to get up and ready.
We had to get out because just the day before all of St. Helena and downtown Napa were closed and completely underwater. Yesterday, had we lost water we would have been screwed because there would have been no way to get out of town.
It was an ugly drive home. Rain, fog, landslides, some flooding but we made it. Cut our weekend short. Which may have been a blessing because I heard there were flood advisories and warnings in affect again.

31 Comments:

Blogger Coco said...

Holy cow. It sounds like a total madhouse. I am sure glad you guys got out okay and are home safe.

Did Michelle get any coffee?

1/02/2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger arkie said...

I'm glad you made it home safely. *smooch*

1/02/2006 7:34 AM  
Blogger momma said...

Holy shit. And here I am worrying about a fucking drought. Did Michelle get her coffee? How did you do dishes without water? And most importantly, how flooded is San Fran?

btw - you made a spelling error, Coco posted first and didn't even point it out? Damn. It is a new year. *grin*

1/02/2006 7:40 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Nope. Michelle never did get her coffee. Once we got out of the house we got on the roads and didn't stop until we got home. By then all she wanted to do was sleep on the couch.
Did I mention that she was still drunk when I woke her up at the lake telling her that we had to go?

1/02/2006 7:42 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

What did I spell wrong?

It's raining here pretty heavily right now. I think SF itself will be fine though. It's the outer areas of the Bay Area that risk floods. I think there are surf advisories for the coast of SF and that's about it.
Today is going to be an indoor day. I wish there was football.

1/02/2006 7:44 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

We did dishes with rainwater.

*smooch* to Arkie.

1/02/2006 7:44 AM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Sounds like you had quite an adventure. What a way to start the new year.

I didn't get a midnight kiss either, even though I was at a crowded club.

1/02/2006 7:48 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Yikes! Sounds like it could've been a better weekend. Glad you and Michelle are home safe. Hope nobody had to barf in the toilet with no flushing going on. Eeeeeew.

Mmmm. Fondue.

1/02/2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Coco said...

I am not listing spelling errors.

*smoooooooooooooches Carey*

1/02/2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I fixed one of my spelling errors. Thanks to Weltek. *grin*

1/02/2006 8:06 AM  
Blogger momma said...

The other one is hors de ....hell, I don't even know how to spell that stupid word.

1/02/2006 8:15 AM  
Blogger momma said...

Are you IN San Fran? Or south of it? I can't remember.

And football is on. Okay, so it's the Cotton Bowl and the Rose Bowl and such, but it is football.

1/02/2006 8:16 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Momma, I am 8 miles south of SF.
Not a fan of college football.
is it e before u or is is u before e in that word that I misspelled?

1/02/2006 8:21 AM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Well, that's an interesting start to year. Poor coffeeless Michelle.

1/02/2006 8:32 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Wow! So glad you made it through OK. That must've been quite a nervewracking experience. {{{hugs}}}

1/02/2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger volsfan said...

I am just glad you all made it home safely. Things look just terrible out there! Sending good weather thoughts soon.

1/02/2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger momma said...

I don't know. hors de hourves?

Hey, do me a favor would ya? Harness some of that rain and send it to me. Hell, send ALL of it to me.

1/02/2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

*smooch* So glad you're ok. I kept worrying about you when the news would flash to the flooding in CA.

It's raining here too and... thundering. Yep, mark it down people. The world is coming to an end; it is Jan 2nd and it's 40 degrees in MI and we have a thunderstorm. *shakes head*

1/02/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I think today I will be productive and build an ark.

1/02/2006 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*smooch*

I am glad you made it home too. To hell with the coffee as long as you're safe.

1/02/2006 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Raclette!!

1/02/2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

*blink*

Did Boo just say "the hell with the coffee"????? That's crazy talk, Boo.

Coffee (especially the morning coffee) is very, very important.

:-)

And I'm glad you all got home safe and sound. That must have been so scary.

1/02/2006 12:45 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

No coffee=cranky people in my house.

I started a load of laundry. I feel soooo productive. I have no motivation today. *sigh*

1/02/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger yvonne said...

The no coffee thing reminded me of what happened after Hurricane Isabel hit us in 2003. We lost power on Thursday night when Isabel hit, and it was still off on Friday morning (and stayed off until Monday afternoon--can you say "nightmare"?). Since our power was off I volunteered to go to the 7-11 to get us all coffee.

So off in my car I go. Imagine my horror when I get to the end of our street and find that we are trapped. There are trees down everywhere and both of the routes to town are blocked. Completely and thoroughly blocked. I had to turn around and go back home, coffeeless.

Thank Gawd we have a generator, so Dad fired it up and we had coffee. That generator saved us. No one should be denied their morning coffee.

Poor Michelle.

1/02/2006 1:21 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I would move heaven and hell to get my coffee in the morning. That's just for everybody else's safety.
My warehouse boys have my coffee made and ready for me when I get to work in the morning. If there is no cream for my coffee, they will make it a priority to go get me some. An unhappy Carey makes for an unhappy everybody. I like it that way.

1/02/2006 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Augie: I remember that Hurricane too, as I was 7 months pregnant, so I had forgotten all about coffee at that point.

And I remember we were going up to CT for a wedding, and there was no ice, no gas and no coffee available, or it was available on a very limted basis. People were lined up at least 100 deep at Sheetz to get some coffee.

1/02/2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger arkie said...

It's hors d'oeuvres.

1/02/2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Thank You, Arkie. *smooch*

1/02/2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger arkie said...

You're welcome, sweetie. *smooch*

1/02/2006 2:58 PM  
Blogger Seana said...

Hope I'm not too late to *smooch* you and say I'm glad you got home safely.

I have hazelnut Coffeemate, if you'd like some.

1/02/2006 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, it's appetizers. Or just apps.

1/02/2006 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home