Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Tears of joy, or sorrow?

It always confuses me. I guess it doesn't matter. I find that I can not see a homecoming of troops without crying. Happy that they made it home safely. Sad that they have to be at risk. I hate the war. Hate it. I hate that these families have to live day to day just hoping that their loved ones will make it home. It breaks my heart. And warms my heart when they come home. Thank God that we have men and women who are willing to put their lives at risk for us. I just wish that they didn't have to fight wars that don't necessarily put our lives at risk.

Edited to add lyrics to one of my favorite songs by the Dixie Chicks:

Dixie Chicks – Travelin’ Soldier lyrics
Two days past eighteen
He was waiting for the bus in his army green
Sat down in a booth in a cafe there
Gave his order to a girl with a bow in her hair
He's a little shy so she gives him a smile
And he said would you mind sittin' down for a while
And talking to me,I'm feeling a little low
She said I'm off in an hour and I know where we can go
So they went down and they sat on the pier
He said I bet you got a boyfriend but I don't careI got no one to send a letter to
Would you mind if I sent one back here to you
Chorus: I criedNever gonna hold the hand of another guy
Too young for him they told her
Waitin' for the love of a travelin' soldier
Our love will never end
Waitin' for the soldier to come back again
Never more to be alone when the letter said
A soldier's coming home
So the letters came from an army camp
In California then Vietnam
And he told her of his heart
It might be love and all of the things he was so scared of
He said when it's getting kinda rough over here
I think of that day sittin' down at the pier
And I close my eyes and see your pretty smile
Don't worry but I won't be able to write for awhile
One Friday night at a football game
The Lord's Prayer said and the Anthem sang
A man said folks would you bow your heads
For a list of local Vietnam dead
Crying all alone under the stands
Was a piccolo player in the marching band
And one name read and nobody really cared
But a pretty little girl with a bow in her hair
Repeat Chorus.

20 Comments:

Blogger arkie said...

Me, neither. And I don't know why it makes me cry, but it does.

*smooch*

4/04/2007 7:20 PM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Ditto.

I saw a six-year-old on the news the other night. His father had been deployed for a year. Then he surprised the kid by showing up at his school. The kid lost it. I just about did too.

It made me realize how many hidden sacrifices are taking place in this country, that just a few are carrying a burden that should have been shared amongst the many.

4/05/2007 4:57 AM  
Blogger thndrkttn said...

I feel the same way, Carey.

Even though my brother and I have hit a rough patch the last couple years, it was hard waiting for him to come home.

What was even worse is that they flew him to Italy first to wait for a flight out. He let all of his troops go home before him. Why? Because they all had families waiting for them in San Diego and he had no one waiting for him. That still upsets me even though he's been home for a while.

The cool (and kinda scary) thing is, he FLEW HIMSELF HOME IN AN F-18. That's right. He flew himself over the Atlantic in a fighter jet. He said had to refuel 8 times. Yowza.

4/05/2007 4:57 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

*hug*

4/05/2007 5:14 AM  
Blogger Lasann said...

I'm with you. I can't imagine it. I don't want to imagine it. It's awful but I'm wishing my boys were older - the age above the draft age. Is it 27?

4/05/2007 5:34 AM  
Blogger momma said...

*hugs*

4/05/2007 5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. *hugs*

4/05/2007 6:35 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I agree. I saw that same thing HD did on the news the other night. I cried. That poor kid and how much he missed his dad. *sniffle*

*hugs* to everyone with family that has been in any of our wars.

4/05/2007 6:59 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I am going to ask a favor of anyone who reads this blog.
The next time you are in public and you see a soldier, take the time to walk up to him/her and thank them for their service. I try to do this as much as possible and you would be surprised how many times I hear "Thank you so much, we just don't hear that enough"
I know I am preaching to the choir but we can support our troops without supporting our war. And they really appreciate that we are not turning our backs on them like we did to the vets returning from Vietnam.

4/05/2007 7:03 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

The last time I was at MSP airport I discovered that there is a small group of people who greet every single returning soldier, thank them, give them a little gift bag (not sure what's in it) and publicly thanks them. (This is all done without any political overtones - just human sincerety.) I had a long wait for my ride so I got to see this 3 or 4 times. It was interesting that when they did this publicly many other people, just random air travellers, also were inspired to say thank you.

I should say that back in the days of the VietNam war Mr. Swami totally lucked out. He turned eighteen during a leap year - and the Lottery number drawn for his birthdate was 366.

4/05/2007 7:15 AM  
Blogger Puffy said...

Swami, a group of volunteers does the same thing in Dallas, I believe. Did anyone read the issue of Newsweek with the letters from the soldiers who had died? My issue is wet with tears.

4/05/2007 9:32 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

I read the link that Hobbs posted to it. It was heartwrenching.

4/05/2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I was in the Dallas airport when that group of women was there. A plane of soldiers was landing as we were waiting for our flight. Those ladies gathered up a huge crowd of airport dwellers to welcome the boys home (since their families couldn't meet them at the gates). It was great.

4/05/2007 10:54 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

*runs into blog*

*throws javelin*

*steps aside for the next person*

*smooch*

4/05/2007 11:43 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

I'm right there with ya. I have a friend, not all that much older than me, whose son was sent over. When I first heard that he (we call him Cheeser heh) was going over, I was all "huh???? he's way too young." I saw him not so long ago and teared up. Some of these soldiers are kids. Our future.

Love that song.

4/05/2007 11:45 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Oh Lord, Nutzy is drinking the Kool-aid again.

4/05/2007 11:45 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I remember a time when i would see a soldier and think that they were so old. And now? They are just babies.

4/05/2007 11:48 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

*sniff* My baby brother.

4/05/2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger mm said...

*agrees with everything Carey said*
*in this post only*
*grin*

4/05/2007 1:21 PM  
Blogger Buggy said...

I'm all tears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBgmbXBOb8

4/08/2007 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home