Monday, July 30, 2007

RIP Bill Walsh

Known as "The Coach". *sigh* *sob*
I'm too sad for words. ETA: This is a shabby picture of an awesome lithograph of The Coach that I have hanging up in my 49er room. The company that I work for printed these lithographs, had them numbered and then Mr. Walsh signed them. I got one of the pre numbered, pre signed litho posters but was happy to have it all the same. It's one of my favorite things that I have in my 49er room. It's the first thing you see when you walk through the door of that room. I felt that he should be the centerpiece of the room because of the immense amount of respect that I have for him and because I believe that he is responsible for putting the 49ers on the map. My respect for him is not just as the coach of the 49ers but as a man. He was a genius of a coach and recruiter but he was a compassionate and caring man who was respected by all. Not only has San Francisco suffered the loss of an icon, so has the football world.
I never got to meet him in person but I was able to stand very close to him a few years ago. Michelle and I went to see Tina Turner in concert. As we got up to the doors, a limo pulled up and Mr. Walsh got out. He was pushing his wife in a wheelchair and I felt that it was disrespectful to approach him. I sort of wish that I had now. It would be nice to tell one of your heros how much they touched your life. RIP Mr. Walsh, you will be missed.

12 Comments:

Blogger kim (weltek) said...

RIP and thanks for the offensive plan, Coach.

7/30/2007 12:11 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm assuming this is the coach of the 49'ers? :( *hug*

7/30/2007 1:41 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Yes, he was The Coach for the 49ers. Best knows as The Coach. :(

7/30/2007 1:44 PM  
Blogger MM said...

He was a large part of my childhood memories. He'll be missed. :(

7/30/2007 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*gasp*

Lots of hugs. I'm so sorry.

7/30/2007 3:20 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

I thought of you when I heard that he died. Amazing that so many famous people died at the same time.

7/30/2007 9:28 PM  
Blogger gothmog said...

I was always a fan. He was a genius who made football exciting to watch. As a Cowgirls and Bungles hater, I was delighted with what his team did in '81-'82. People might have remembered "The Catch", but it was his orchestrations that made it all happen. Through the 80's, even though SF was one of the Bears' rivals for dominance in the NFC, I would always root for them when the Bears fell out of the playoffs, which I can't say for the Giants or Redskins. And I don't think the game has ever seen a coach with more grace, style, class, and humility.

RIP

7/31/2007 7:27 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

*sniff* Very well said, Goth. You couldn't be more correct about his style and grace.
Many people don't know that he was also very instrumental in making the playing field equal for all races.

I heard on the radio this morning some wonderful stats. Mr. Walsh spawned 29 head coaches in the league. Of those, 8 won Super Bowl titles and an additional 9 made it to the Super Bowl. Quite a legacy he left behind. :)

7/31/2007 7:31 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

*hugs* I thought of you as soon as I saw the news.
RIP Coach.

7/31/2007 8:54 AM  
Blogger arkie said...

*hugs*

7/31/2007 9:29 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

*BIG HUGS*

7/31/2007 12:49 PM  
Blogger frodis said...

He revolutionized the game with his West Coast offense, which I swear *everyone* uses now. He was a pioneer and a true representative of the spirit of sport. He was part of what's so fun about football - he coached from a thinking, scheming perspective instead of all brute force.

Like goth said, since the 49ers were such a thorn in the Bears' side in the 80's I learned to hate them, but it's the most loving, respectful kind of hate.

RIP, Mr. Walsh.

8/01/2007 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home