Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Update on my friend

Syren posted in that post and it reminded me of the new developments.
She got in touch with me two days ago telling me that her car had been repossesed. No warning, no letter, no phone call. Just went outside and her car wasn't there. She called the repo people and they said they sent letters but they came back as a bad address. Um, how did they find the car then?
Got more info on this GF who we have never met. She hasn't held a job in years. Mooching off of people. Now she has used L for every penny she has. They are $11000 behin in their rent and the owner of the house is about to lose the house. Neither have a job and now neither has a car.
Friend asked me if she could borrow more money to get her car out.
I hate that I have fallen back into my cynical ways because I do believe that I have softened over the past year. But honestly? Something is NOT sitting right with me here. I am now not sure when she is telling the truth or not and that has me concerned.
I told her that I couldn't loan her more money because it's not been an easy past year on me, either. Not as rough as her, I understand that, but I'm not a bank. Michelle is the one who is usually soft to these kinds of things and even she said no this time. She said she can't be L's unlimited supply of bailout. She feels a bit bad but she isn't willing to go even another dollar into the hole until she sees that L is making some sound decisions. L's main concern seems to be her love life right now and she is focused on how she and the GF can't get along and they always fight. And right now her concern is getting the GF's car out of impound.
Look, if L was focused on helping herself and not the GF I might be a little more willing here. But I feel like she is borrowing from us in order to financially support her GF. Who we have never met. So no more money is coming from us.
Look, I want to help my friends but at this point I don't feel that L is doing everything that she can to help herself. So at this point I don't think we would let her stay at our house. Too many things are not adding up for me and that leads me to not trust her at this time.
If I see that she is making steps to help herself and not the GF, then maybe we will revisit the idea of helping her out.
Thank you everybody for your input. I really thought about each and every word that all of you said. *smooch*

10 Comments:

Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Ugh. Unfortunately it sounds like you made the right choice.

10/15/2008 8:21 AM  
Blogger kevingrout said...

Definitely sounds fishy. Stick to your guns, as hard as that might be.

10/15/2008 8:47 AM  
Blogger Tummy said...

11,000.00 dollars behind in rent?! How does that happen?! Sheesh!

I think you made a hard decision but a good one.

10/15/2008 9:47 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Their rent is $2700 per month. Yep, the Bay Area costs a fortune.

10/15/2008 9:55 AM  
Blogger maroonclown said...

Good for you.

Way too many red flags here. Wouldn't know where to being.

As I said before - say bye-bye to the $500 and be thankful that's all it has cost.

{{hug}}

10/15/2008 10:01 AM  
Blogger Breezy said...

Yep, right choice.

10/15/2008 10:02 AM  
Blogger frodis said...

I'm sorry. What a hard situation.

10/15/2008 11:23 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

$2700 a month? *thud*

You made the right choice. Absolutely. *smooch*

10/15/2008 11:29 AM  
Blogger Syren said...

*sigh*
Yes, you made the right choice. You and Michelle are not banks, and she should not even think to treat you as such.

I did post on the other post, because I was sad. Sometimes that is a hard time to remember for me. However, I treat my friends as a bank either.

*smooch*

10/16/2008 4:48 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I'm sorry your friend is having such a hard time right now, but you absolutely made the right decision. *hugs*

10/17/2008 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home